Named after a former resident of the mansion property Park House, John Cookes or Cook (August 4, 1668 – November 11, 1720). Cookes was a silk worker, originally from Tardebigg, Worcestershire. He had clearly done rather well for himself. By 1682 he had married Elizabeth Knap, the daughter of a merchant, but she died in childbirth. Two years later he married again, to Elizabeth Russell, daughter of Sir William Russell. The couple, who had 13 children, lived at Lea Hall. Sir William in turn bought the Park House estate and had it rebuilt, selling it to his son-in-law in 1704.
48 total views, 1 views today