The first major housing development in Abbey Wood was the Bostall Estate built by the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society (RACS) between 1900 and 1914, which named many of the roads after the people and ideals that it aspired to. In this case a community of shared interests. Its motto was “Each for All and All for Each”. This estate was laid out over fields previously belonging to Bostall Farm and Suffolk Place Farm, which the RACS acquired in 1886 and 1899 respectively. Chalk, sand and gravel necessary for the construction were excavated on site. Here also the RACS built a piggery, abattoir, and a jam factory.
12 total views, 1 views today