Alderman Gilbert Colvin (1874 – June 3, 1965) was chairman of Ilford’s Education Committee and Mayor of Ilford between 1947 – 1949. Born in Poplar, he was a great supporter of education in the borough and the Gilbert Colvin Primary School is named after him, which was officially opened in 1953. The school was built in 1952 in the shape of an E to celebrate Elizabeth II becoming queen. The street itself was laid out on farmland once part of the medieval Hainault Forest. It follows the course of an earlier border between fields.
189 total views, 1 views today