Directional as this is the road to Cockfosters. The name is from the early 16thCentury and was first mentioned in 1524 as Cokfosters, meaning the chief forester’s estate, coming from the word cocc an Old English word being the person in charge or head and forster an early spelling for forester. It was sometimes known in late 19thCentury records as Southgate Road and continued as far south as Green Hill. By 1896 it had become Cock Fosters Road on Ordnance Survey maps and in 1935, under pressure from Royal Mail, Southgate Council re-named the stretch between Green Road and Cat Hill, incorporating it into Chase Side. Just a year earlier the road had been transferred from Enfield Council to Southgate Council.
12 total views, 1 views today