Cleve Court on Minster Road, Thanet, Kent, is close to the Powell-Cotton family’s estate Quex Park in Birchington-on-Sea. This road was originally on land of Kilburn Wood Farm, which John Powell, a secretary to George III and onetime Paymaster General, bought as in investment in 1773. Both this and his other estate Shoot Up Hill Farm were passed down through the family. Once the railways lines in the Kilburn area were established, the land began to be sold for housing. All the roads were named after places local to the family’s property at Quex Park, in Kent, and later after places Major Powell-Cotton visited on his travels – particularly Abyssinia (Ethiopia) between 1899 – 1900. Cleve is thought to mean cliff.
13 total views, 1 views today