For some 800 years this was called Norbiton Street but when it was extended in 1828 it was renamed in honour of Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen (August 13, 1792 – December 2, 1849), the Duchess of Clarence and later Queen Adelaide, who had come to officiate its reopening. Adelaide was married to Prince William, Duke of Clarence, son of George III, and younger brother to the Prince Regent, in Kew Palace on July 11, 1818 – having only met a week earlier. Prince William went on to become William IV and she his consort. Among the other places honoured in her name are Adelaide in Australia.
302 total views, 1 views today