Like Clapham (village on a hill or slope), Clapton means a farm on a hill, in this case the high ground which leads down to the River Lea. Clop or clop(a), later mutated into Clap, being the Old English word for a hillock and tūn being farmstead. It was first recorded as Clopton in 1339 before featuring in the records as Clapton in 1593. Only the common survived the rapid industrial and residential development of the 19thCentury.
66 total views, 1 views today