In his book A Potted History of Ilford, Norman Gunby offers several potential reasons for how the ancient parish formerly in the Forest of Essex got its name. It is first mentioned as Cingheuvella in the Domesday survey of 1086; it appears in the Pipe Rolls in 1187 in the more recognisable format of Chiggewell, which may have come from the Anglo-Saxon personal name Cicca, literally meaning Cicca’s well. Alternatively it could be a corruption of the Old English word ceacge meaning gorse. Another theory suggests it was influenced by the nearby Chingford, meaning shingly ford; and finally it could refer to the King’s Well, the site of which is marked at today’s Brocket Way on the 1898 Ordnance Survey map. This street was laid out on former farmland to the south of the 17thCentury Chigwell Hall. The original medieval manor, mentioned in the Domesday Book, was located a little to the north of the later hall, on the opposite side of Roding Lane, where the RAF station now stands.
19 total views, 1 views today