Named in honour of Henry Chetwynd Stapylton, who came from a family of prominent lawyers, and who was chairman of governors at Queen Elizabeth’s School between 1873 and 1885. As a parting gift to the school he bought a plot of land behind the Jesus Hospital and donated it as a playing field. This ultimately helped secure a site for the relocation of the school to Queen’s Road in 1932. Today Stapylton field stands in front of the main School building and is used for rugby and cricket and the Founder’s Day Fete.
59 total views, 1 views today