This road, like many others in the surrounding area, owes its name to its connection with the nearby Hainault Forest, one of the remaining sections of the former Forest of Essex. The woodland became a favourite hunting ground of Tudors and Stuarts, both for pleasure and profit. Developers named the area’s streets after the types of vegetation that could be found in the forest before building work began. In this case a chestnut, a type of tree. This road, part of the Hainault Estate, was developed on former woodland in the early part of the 20thCentury, following the opening of Hainault Station in 1903. The line was designed to stimulate suburban growth but was closed on October 1, 1908 due to a lack of custom and did not reopen until March 2, 1930.
144 total views, 1 views today