Named after the nearby ancient woodland Cherry Tree Wood. But the name could have been very different. Up until the turn of the 20thCentury Cherry Tree Wood was called Dirthouse Wood on account of the horse manure brought up here from all over central London to fertilise the fields. When the railway was built, this area became boggy and watercress beds were created as a source of revenue for the local community. The wood was bought by Finchley Council in 1914 and became known as Cherry Tree Wood, a more pleasant name, a year later.
259 total views, 1 views today