The name comes from the Old English words cēap and side meaning market and the district next to it. Indeed Cheapside was London’s principle market street in the medieval City. It was first recorded as Westchepe in 1249 and later Westchep in 1286 distinguishing it from another market Eastcheap. By 1304 its dominance became clear as it became to be referred to as simply Chepe and le Chepe in 1377. By 1436 it was called Chapeside, Chepe Side followed in 1479 and Chepseyde in 1534. This was more of a general market than its eastern counterpart.
89 total views, 1 views today