Colonel Francis Walter Chamberlain was the original owner of Glebe House, which as the name suggests was originally a church property. The family money came from his father, a corporate and insurance lawyer, a profession that Chamberlain followed into after the First World War. After the war he served as High Sheriff of Kent from 1949 to 1950, and this road was built not longer after, around 1954. In 1966, the family gave some land to the West Wickham Old Peoples Welfare Committee on which 19 bedsit flats were built and which today is the site of Glebe Court Nursing Home in Glebe Way. When Chamberlain died, his wife offered the house and the rest of the estate for purchase by a local charitable organisation that would use it for the benefit of older people in the community and as a result Glebe Housing Association was formed. Glebe House is a Grade II listed building and today houses the Administration Office.
87 total views, 1 views today