Literal. So-named in 1861 by St Luke’s Vestry probably because it was in the middle of St Luke’s Parish. The civil and ecclesiastical parish of St Luke’s was created following the consecration of the church in 1733. This very old lane had originally led through the fields from Golden Lane in the City to Islington village green. It appears on John Rocque’s 1746 map of London as Brick Lane. It was renamed in 1936.
88 total views, 1 views today