Cedar Terrace, TW9

Place Name

The Cedars, was a large property just off Lower Mortlake Road, which was owned by Dr Thomas Duncan, a well known local physician. Previously called Lumley Lodge after the former owners, the Viscounts Lumley, Earls of Scarborough, it was put up to let with an advert in The Times on June 12, 1824: “Consisting of an entrance hall, drawing room, 26ft by 19, dining room, housekeeper’s room, 7 bedrooms and 3 excellent attics: good kitchen garden, with a green house, 5-stall stable, double coachhouse, laundry, bath, cowhouse, poultry yard &c. and an enclosed paddock in front of the house, containing about 4 acres. The pleasure grounds are tastefully laid out in shrubberies, and the house adapted for the residence of a family of the first respectability.” But by 1880 the property was no more. At first the road built in its place was called Jessie Terrace but later named after the former mansion, that had itself been named after the cedars that grew on the estate. In 1899 the road was extended southwards.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *