Originally called Springfield Park Crescent. First mentioned as Catteford in 1240, and later as Katford in 1278 and Cateforde in 1311. It takes its name from two Old English words catte meaning cat and ford as in a river crossing, referring to the River Ravensbourne, so the name is thought to be literal as in an area inhabited by wild cats. Although an alternative explanation is that the cat may have been the nickname of a local landowner. The road was developed into the shop lined Broadway following the arrival of the Board of Works, which was laid out on the site of the present day Lewisham Council offices.
18 total views, 1 views today