Carlingford Abbey is a medieval Dominican abbey located in County Louth, Ireland. It is situated at the heart of the town of Carlingford, occupied since the 12thCentury, and was built under the patronage of Richard Óg de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster, in 1305. The name comes from the Old Norse Kerlingfjǫrðr and means a narrow sea-inlet of the hag. The abbey was closed in 1540 under the orders of King Henry VIII during his cull of the monasteries. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
139 total views, 1 views today