The area was named after the canons of St Bartholomew’s Church, Smithfield, who held the manor here after land was granted to them by Ralph de Berners in 1253. First mentioned as Canonesbury in 1373. Canons, were members of the Roman Catholic clergy, and are very similar to monks. They usually worked at a cathedral and lived in communes abiding by certain house rules according to their particular chapter. By 1544 it was spelt Canbury and 1552 appeared as Canonbury alias Canbury.
53 total views, 1 views today