Directional, the road leading to Canning Town, which was first recorded in 1848. There are a number of claims as to who this Victorian era industrial area is named after. The first is Sir Samuel Canning (1823 – 1908), an English pioneer of submarine telegraphy, who had associations with the firm SW Silver & Co, in nearby Silvertown. Secondly, George Canning, an engineer associated with the development of the docks. The most common suggestion, that it was named after the canning industry that grew up here, is purely coincidental.
366 total views, 1 views today