There has been a house here since the early 1600s, but the present house was developed and first occupied by Charles Pratt (baptised March 21, 1714 – April 18, 1794), the lawyer and politician who later became Lord Chancellor. He was created 1st Earl Camden in 1786, adopting the name of his house. The house itself is reputed to be named after William Camden, a great antiquarian and historian who lived in a previous house on this site until his death in 1623. The house was rebuilt by a later owner, who then named it Camden Place in honour of the great scholar.
248 total views, 1 views today