This road, constructed by the Metropolitan and District Railway Companies between 1889 and 1906, was originally the eastern section of Great Tower Street. It was named, for no particular reason, after the nearby Byward Tower of the Tower of London which was erected in 1280. That got its name because it was by the Ward, the Warders’ Hall, the meeting room and residences of the Yeoman Warders. Although it has also been suggested it is from the byword, a password used by Beefeaters at night to distinguish friend from foe.
24 total views, 1 views today