Named in honour of local landowner and Lord of the Manor Colonel Ynyr Henry Burges, and owner of Rancliffe House. The Burges’s East Ham estate, was established by Ynyr Burges, the paymaster of the East India Company, between 1762 and his death in 1792, at a total cost of £20,700. The estate, which by 1799, comprised of 422 acres was inherited down the family line to Colonel Burges, who was largely responsible for developing the estate for building. He had started to do so, on his father’s behalf, sometime around 1887, and continued until his own death in 1908. He in turn was succeeded by his grandson, Major Ynyr Alfred Burges, who completed the development of the estate during the 1920s.
176 total views, 1 views today