Part of a development by the British Land Company which is one of a cluster of streets named after scientists: Buckland, Faraday (since renamed), Huxley, Lindley, Murchison, Sedgwick and Tyndall. Thought to be named after William Buckland (March 12, 1784 – August 14, 1856), the first Reader in geology at Oxford University and later Dean of Westminster. He gained some fame in his early 40s after discovering the Red Lady buried at Paviland, the oldest anatomically modern human found in the UK in 1823. And he coined the name coprolite for fossilised faeces. Nearby Buckland and Murchison were colleagues of his at one time.
110 total views, 1 views today