Richard Browning was a long-serving churchwarden of Enfield Parish in the early part of the 19thCentury who lived in Brigadier Hill. In 1849 a notice in the Gentleman’s Magazine reported that in the space of four days both his wife, Sarah, aged 65, and housekeeper of 36 years, Elizabeth Kilbourn had died. Clearly he was a well-known local figure as the name Browning Road was in use by 1892, it had previously been known as Cocker Lane, as seen on the 1754 Tithe Map and on the 1777 Chase Enclosure Map. Originally Browning Road only extended between Lancaster Road and Phipps Hatch Lane with the section running between Phipps Hatch and Clay Hill retaining the name Cocker Lane until 1908.
107 total views, 1 views today