Named after the nearby area, which was a hamlet in Anglo-Saxon times. The name itself means broom farm, from the common broom (Cytisus scoparius) a widespread shrub with golden yellow flowers from the Old English words brōm and tūn. Brompton was a small medieval hamlet to the south of Knightsbridge first mentioned in 1294. The spelling underwent various mutations down the centuries as Bromton in 1309, Brumpton in 1380 and Brumeton in 1610.
104 total views, 1 views today