The name comes from the country estate, Brettenham Park, of Sir Thomas Courtenay Theydon Warner who developed land on his Walthamstow estate, inherited from his father, for housing. His company, The Warner Estate Co. Ltd., was registered in 1891, and in 1897 he created another company which became Courtenay Building Ltd. to construct the housing. He bought Brettenham in 1902 or 1903. He was also the first mayor of the Municipal Borough of Walthamstow after its incorporation in 1929. A Liberal MP he was made baronet of Brettenham Park, Suffolk, on July 9, 1910. The name Brettenham itself means Brettas’ (the Britons) meadow or enclosure. Nearby Blyth Road is named after Warner’s cousin and director of Courtenay Building Ltd, Colonel James Blyth.
151 total views, 1 views today