Situated on the edge of the bustling City, Clerkenwell was a favourite place of recreation in the 16thCentury. Consequently a number of entertainments were set up here, including bowling greens. Indeed they were recorded in John Stow’s Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, first published in 1598. By 1675 there were two adjacent bowling greens on the north side of Bowling Green Lane and at least one was still in use in the mid-19thCentury, closing in 1849.
120 total views, 1 views today