Known as Hill Street from 1790. Renamed in 1937 after nearby Bunhill Fields, part of Finsbury Manor in the 16thCentury, which was first recorded as Bonhilles in 1544 and later Bonhil Fields, in 1567, Bunne Hill in 1615 and Bunhill Fields Burying Ground in 1799. The name means Bonehill Fields, and the site is where in 1549 waggon loads of bones from the charnel house at St Paul’s Cathedral were deposited. The Fields became a burial ground for dissenters in the late 17thCentury.
322 total views, 2 views today