Named after Charles James Blomfield (May 29, 1786 – August 5, 1857), Bishop of London for 28 years during which time he oversaw a large increase in churches and clergy to serve the rapidly-growing population. He had previously been Rector of St Botolph-without-Bishopsgate, between 1820 and 1828. Its present name dates from 1831. Previous names include Little Moor Gate, Little Moorfield and Broker Row, it ran along the east side of old Bethlam Hospital situated in Lower Moorfield.
197 total views, 1 views today