Blanchland Abbey, in Northumberland, was originally founded as a premonstratensian priory in 1165 by Walter de Bolbec II. It became an abbey in the late 13thCentury. It was closed down under Henry VIII’s land grab against the Roman Catholic Church in 1539. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
169 total views, 1 views today