Named after the former village doctor of West Wickham from the 1930s, William Blake, who was also a chairman of the parish council. He was described as “an Irishman of irascible temperament, a smoker and drinker with equal application… much loved by all his patients, who at first made his rounds in a pony and trap, later in a Model T Ford driven with sublime indifference to other road users”. He died in 1944. By then he had already had Blake Park, previously the Blake Recreation Ground (which opened to the public in August 1932), named after him.
289 total views, 1 views today