Part of the early 1980s development of the former St Anne’s and St Joseph’s Orphanage sites. It is named after Bishop John Baptist Butt (April 20, 1826 – November 1, 1899) who served as the fourth Roman Catholic Bishop of Southwark from 1885 to 1897. In 1894, he asked the Mother Superior of the Sisters of Mercy in Bermondsey to take charge of a girls orphanage he wanted to build at Orpington, St Anne’s Orphanage. Other roads nearby are named after those connected with the work.
199 total views, 2 views today