According to John Stow it is a corruption of Burie’s Marks, which was the name of a mansion originally belonging to the Abbots of Bury St Edmunds, in Suffolk. The property was given to the abbey sometime before 1160, according to a deed which records David the Dane, as the benefactor. It was recorded as Bewesmarkes in 1372, Bevys Marke by 1450 and Buries markes in 1603. The corruption came following confusion between the letters v and r in medieval scripts. Marks came from the Old English word mearc meaning a boundary.
86 total views, 1 views today