In reference to the nearby Beverley Brook, which means the stream inhabited by beavers. The river’s name was first recorded as Beferipi or Beferithi in an 11thCentury copy of an Anglo-Saxon charter from AD693. In 1548 it was written as Beverey. The name comes from two Old English words beofor and rīthig, the latter word, which was originally used, later mutated into -rey but was substituted with Ley in the 17thCentury, so by 1822 it was written as Baveley Brook.
62 total views, 2 views today