In reference to the nearby Beverley Brook, which rises in Sutton, and means the small stream inhabited by beavers. The river’s name was first recorded as Beferipi or Beferithi in an 11thCentury copy of an Anglo-Saxon charter from AD693. In 1548 it was written as Beverey. The name comes from the two Old English words beofor and rīthig, the latter word which was originally used mutated into -rey but was substituted with Ley in the 17thCentury, so by 1822 it was written as Baveley Brook. In the Medieval period it was also referred to as Le Creke.
238 total views, 2 views today