Named after the residence of the antiquarian Lord William Howard (December 19, 1563 – October 7, 1640), sometimes known as Belted or Bauld (bold) Will. It was called Mount Pleasant, which later became Belmont, and was the only large house within the tongue of the parish which projected south of Cockfosters. By the end of the 19thCentury it had become Heddon Court and was the home of a preparatory school for boys. The school closed in 1933 and the house was demolished. Belmont comes from the Norman meaning fine hill. It was a popular name around London and beyond.
60 total views, 1 views today