Beeleigh Abbey near Maldon in Essex was a monastery of Premonstratensian monks, otherwise known as the White Canons, from 1180. In the 13thCentury it became a place of pilgrimage after the Bishop of London, Roger Niger, was buried there. After the dissolution of the monasteries, many of the abbey buildings were pulled down. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
163 total views, 1 views today