The name derives from Beech Hill Park whose northern boundary the street forms. The park was originally the grounds of an extensive property held by Francis Russell (1740 – September 1, 1795) who in 1777 was His Majesty’s Surveyor for the South part of the Duchy (of Lancaster) overseeing the break-up of Enfield Chase. As part of the break-up, Russell was allowed to buy the freehold of 152 acres of land bordering on Beech Hill and Cockfosters Road in Hadley Wood. On this land he built Russell Mansion, which became known as Beech Hill Park, and is now used as the club house for Hadley Wood Golf Club. The road was called Beech Hill in 1851 although the names Beech Hill and Camlet Way were used indiscriminately.
101 total views, 1 views today