It is ironic that the property which has served as the hall of the Worshipful Company of Bakers since 1506, and which gives this street its name, has burnt down three times in its history. The building was originally the mansion of John Chichele, a 15thCentury Chamberlain of London. It was inherited by his daughter and bought by the Bakers’ Company when she died. It was razed in the Great Fire (started by a baker) and again in 1715. The third hall was destroyed during the Second World War but was rebuilt in 1963.
23 total views, 1 views today