Also spelt Baker’s Avenue and Bakers’ Avenue. This road takes its name from the Master Bakers’ Benevolent Institution (now the Bakers’ Benevolent Society) Almshouses just around the corner. Built between 1857 and 1866, the 52 alms houses were built on three sides of a square, with turrets at the angles, in the Italianate style by the architect Thomas Edward Knightley. They were for “any respectable member of the baking trade fallen into poverty, eligible according to the rules, or to the widow of such”.
115 total views, 1 views today