Originally called Cromwell Lane. Until expansion of the Stag Brewery, when it became a service road, this was a thoroughfare in its own right. It was named after the Aynscombe family who lived at the old Cromwell House – it was knocked down following the death of one of his daughters. Lillie Smith Aynscombe (a man), was a director of the Sun Fire Office of insurers from, at the latest, 1754 until his death in 1791. His younger daughter Charlotte Aynscombe, an artist, lived at the new Cromwell House. The name currently does not feature on maps but with redevelopment of the Stag Brewery site may return.
124 total views, 1 views today