Directional. The origin of Avery Hill’s name is uncertain as the area was originally known as Pollcat End, as featured on a map of 1805. But by 1839 it was called Aviary, suggesting it may have a connection with birds; if not an actual aviary, it may have been a reference to a place that songbird sellers caught their wares. Within a decade however the spelling had changed to Avery. The name Aviary Hill was given to an Italianate mansion built in 1890 which by 1906 had become a teachers’ training school.
230 total views, 1 views today