Named after one of the many monastic orders in the City during the Middle Ages, the Augustinian or Austin Friars, which were established here in 1253 by Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex. Their precinct covered a large area all the way from Throgmorton Street to London Wall. Following the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16thCentury, most of the property was given to the Marquis of Winchester but its church was set aside for the use of Dutch refugees. Today the Dutch community still worships at the church.
330 total views, 1 views today