Lieutenant-Colonel Alexander Aubert (1730 – 1804) was a businessman solider and astronomer who lived at Highbury Manor House which he bought for 6,000 guineas and set up an observatory, with the assistance of his friend John Smeaton, the celebrated engineer. The house had been built about a decade earlier laid out on the site of a medieval Manor House that stood between this road and Hamilton Park. In 1753 he became a director, and some years later governor, of the London Assurance Company. He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1772, and of the Society of Antiquaries in 1784. Aubert also commanded the Loyal Islington Volunteers 1797 – 1801.
39 total views, 1 views today