First recorded as Artyllerye lane in 1600, this street originally led to Tasel Close Artillery Yard, a walled field in the Spitel Fields, which was used by gunners based at the Tower of London and the Honourable Artillery Company for their weekly artillery practice. That continued until 1682 when the yard was sold for development. It came into the crown’s hands following the dissolution of the monasteries. Previously it had been owned by the Priory of St Mary Spital who leased it to clothworkers who grew teasles used to smooth woollen cloth.
81 total views, 1 views today