Agricultural heritage. This was laid out over land that was occupied by Arbour Field, a 12 acre patch of land that had belonged to the Mercer’s Company. In 1819, it was laid out as a garden enclosure and sometime between then and 1830 the square was developed with three-storey houses surrounding it. Arbour Square was taken over by the London County Council and opened to the public in 1904, as Arbour Square Gardens. Its paths were asphalted in 1928. An arbour meaning a leafy glade or bower sheltered by trees.
71 total views, 1 views today