Industrial heritage. Appold Street, Erith, was named in reference to the engineering firm Easton & Anderson who made the Appold pump, a centrifugal system for moving fluids. It was invented by fur dyer and engineer John George Appold (April 14, 1800 – August 31, 1865), who had his works nearby. The pump won him a council medal at the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851. He also created a brake for laying deep-sea telegraph cables. This apparatus was used in laying the first Transatlantic cable in 1858.
218 total views, 1 views today