Leading to, and named after, the 17thCentury Alderton Hall, one of the earliest surviving manors in Loughton. It was built about 1600 though is actually the site of an ancient medieval manor, from which its name derives. The manor was first referenced in 1062 in a charter of Edward the Confessor as Ælwartun, later spellings include Alezvardtun in 1246 and Alwardeton in 1250. The name comes from an Anglo-Saxon personal name and the Old English word for town, tun, together literally Ælwar’s town. Consisting of 4½ hides (about 150 acres – a hide being enough land to feed a family) plus a further 10 acres. Alderton was one of the largest estates in Loughton in the 11thCentury, and was likely the main centre of population. The present hall dates from about 1600 and is one of the earliest surviving manors in Loughton. It later appears as Alditton Hall on Chapman and Andre’s map of 1777. While this street had been laid out as early as 1897 it doesn’t seem to have been named on maps until later.
35 total views, 1 views today