Takes its name after Walter de Alderbury the short-term Dean of St Paul’s Cathedral who held the post between 1362 and 1363. The Dean and Chapter of St Paul’s were lords of the manor in Barnes since Saxon times when it was given to them by King Athelstan, the grandson of Alfred the Great. Athelstan became the first monarch to make London the seat of Government and his work included restoring St Paul’s Cathedral to its former state after nearly 300 years of neglect. Profits from the manor went to pay for the upkeep of the building and the clergy. The road was only build around 1927 until then it had been part of Lonsdale Farm.
145 total views, 1 views today