Takes its name from the former Adam and Eve tavern that was near here. It was so-called, like many others, after the Medieval Mystery and Mortality plays that would be staged in the court yards of inns on holy days. More often than not they began with Genesis, the first chapter of the Bible, featuring the creation story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. This pub stood about 50 yards north of Oxford Street and was approached by a narrow lane, which when built up became Adam and Eve Court in the 1720s. The tavern survived until around 1746.
15 total views, 1 views today